Youth Microfiction Competition 2022 - Explore, Discover, Sunshine!
Are you a young writer who works, studies, lives or plays in Brimbank? We would love to read your work!
Writers aged 10 – 18 are invited to submit a short story of up to 200 words on the theme ‘Explore, Discover, Sunshine!’ between 17 October and 18 November 2022, to be in the running for $300 in prizes!
The competition will be judged by Author Idan Ben-Barak and writers’ works will be celebrated in an award ceremony on the 3rd of December.
About Idan Ben-Barak
Idan Ben-Barak is the author of numerous internationally acclaimed titles, including Do Not Lick This Book, Argh! There's a Skeleton Inside You! and Small Wonders: How Microbes Rule Our World. His work has been translated into over a dozen languages, and has won numerous awards.
Terms and Conditions of Entry
- Entries must be a maximum of 200 words long (not including title and author details).
- Entries longer than 200 words will not be considered.
- All genres of fiction are welcome.
- One entry per person.
- Entries are open to anyone who lives, works, studies or plays in Brimbank.
- There are two award categories: 10-13 years old, and 14-18 years old.
- Two prizes will be awarded per category. Prizes will be book selections from the Sun Bookshop, of $100/$50 for first and second placegetters respectively. Winners will be able to select their own books.
- Judges' decisions on the selected winners are final.
- Entries received after the closure date of midnight on the 18/11/22 will not be considered.
- If your story is selected for reading at our awards ceremony we will contact you for permission to do so.
- Winning entries may be published on the Brimbank Libraries Website, and other Brimbank Council websites.
- Entries are via email only. No physical paper entries will be accepted.
How to Enter
The theme/inspiration for entries is “Explore, Discover, Sunshine!”. You may use this to inspire your story in any direction you see fit, and use your creative discretion as to how little or how much it influences your story.
Please submit entries as an attached Microsoft Word Document, with body text in size 12 Times New Roman or similar font.
Please include your name, age, phone number, email address, story title and a word count at the top of your story, as in the example below. These elements do not count towards your word count.
Example story submission:
Bill G. Shakespeare, (name) 12 years old
0402688744 (Phone number)
Title of Story (Word count: 199 words)
(Write your story here, in size 12 Times New Roman)
|Event Date||Monday 17 Oct, 2022 12:05 am|
|Event End Date||Friday 18 Nov, 2022 11:55 pm|
Search for and Book an Event
Tuesday 29 Nov, 2022 10:30 am
Tuesday 29 Nov, 2022 10:30 am
Tuesday 29 Nov, 2022 2:00 pm
Wednesday 30 Nov, 2022 10:30 am
Upcoming Computer Classes:
Upcoming Groups and Clubs:
Subscribe to our Celebrating Learning Newsletter
A quarterly newsletter sharing local activities, resources and research relating to lifelong learning in Brimbank.