Sunshine in Winter - Microfiction Competition with Richard Holt
Are you a writer who lives, works, studies or plays in Brimbank? Would you like to be? We would love to read and celebrate your work!
Brimbank is an area rich in writers and storytelling talent, and this year’s Brimbank Writers and Readers festival is looking to celebrate the best microfiction stories that the Western suburbs have to offer.
We are asking all interested writers aged 18 and over to submit bite-sized microfiction pieces of up to 200 words inspired by the phrase “Sunshine in Winter”.
Each entry will be in the running for $500 in prizes, including a first prize of a $250 voucher from The Sun Bookshop in Yarraville.
The competition opens on May 17 and closes at midday 17 June. Entries will be judged by microfiction writer and teacher Richard Holt.
See below for submission guidelines and terms and conditions of entry.
Keen for a few pointers?
Richard Holt offers advice to help aspiring writers hone their micro stories in a special microfiction presentation for the Brimbank Writers & Readers Festival on the Brimbank Libraries YouTube channel.
Then join us at 6.30pm 25 June for an online awards ceremony and celebration of local talent, where winners will be announced and notable entries read aloud.
Good luck, and we are looking forward to reading your stories!
Richard Holt is a Melbourne writer specialising in microfiction. His most recent collection is What You Might Find (Spineless Wonders 2019). His work is published by UK publisher Gumbo Press and online in the Irish Literary Review. He also produces text-based videos, artworks and interactive text-based installations for public spaces.
The theme/inspiration for entries is “Sunshine in Winter”. You may use this to inspire your story in any direction you see fit, and use your creative discretion as to how little or how much it influences your story.
Please submit entries as an attached PDF or Microsoft Word document, with body text in size 12 Times New Roman or similar font.
Please include your name, phone number, email address, story title and a word count at the top of your story, as in the example below. These elements do not count towards your word count.
Example story submission:
Bill G. Shakespeare (Name)
0402XXXXXX (Phone number)
Title of Story (Word count: 199 words)
(Write your story here, in size 12 Times New Roman)
Microfiction Competition Terms and Conditions of Entry
- Entries must be a maximum of 200 words long (not including title and author details)
- Entries longer than 200 words will not be considered
- All genres of fiction are welcome
- One entry per person
- Entries are open to anyone aged 18+ who lives, works, studies or plays in Brimbank
- Three prizes will be awarded in vouchers for the Sun Bookshop, of $250/$150/$100 for first, second and third placegetters respectively
- The judge's decisions on the selected winners are final
- Entries received after the closure date of midday on the 17/06/21 will not be considered
- If your story is selected for reading at our awards ceremony we will contact you for permission to do so
- Winning entries may be published on the Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival Website, and other Brimbank Council websites
- Entries are via email only. No physical paper entries will be accepted
|Event Date||Mon 17-05-2021|
|Event End Date||Thursday 17 Jun, 2021 12:00 pm|
Search for and Book an Event
Upcoming Special Events:
Family Storytime Live Stream
Monday 04 Oct, 2021 10:30 am
Toddler Storytime Live Stream
Tuesday 05 Oct, 2021 10:30 am
Preschool Storytime Live Stream
Wednesday 06 Oct, 2021 10:30 am
Live Stream Baby Bounce
Thursday 07 Oct, 2021 10:30 am
Upcoming Computer Classes:
Are you Fabulously Over 50?
Wednesday 01 Sep, 2021 12:00 am
Small Steps Online Challenge
Wednesday 01 Sep, 2021 12:00 am
Upcoming Groups and Clubs:
Subscribe to our Celebrating Learning Newsletter
A quarterly newsletter sharing local activities, resources and research relating to lifelong learning in Brimbank.