Youth Microfiction Competition
Are you a young writer who works, studies, lives or plays in Brimbank? We would love to read your work!
Writers aged 10 – 18 are invited to submit a short story of up to 200 words on the theme ‘Waking up in sunshine’ between 25 October and 21 November 2021, to be in the running for $300 in prizes!
The competition will be judged by Children’s Laureate Ursula Dubosarsky, and writers’ works will be celebrated in an online award ceremony on Friday 3 December.
About Ursula Dubosarsky
Ursula Dubosarsky wanted to be a writer from the age of six, and is now the author of over 60 books for children and young adults, which have won several national prizes, including the NSW, Victorian, South Australian and Queensland Premier’s Literary Awards. She has also been nominated several times for the prestigious international children’s literature prizes, the Astrid Lindgren award and the Hans Christian Andersen award. She is the current Australian Children’s Laureate, for 2020-2021. She lives in Sydney with her family.
Terms and Conditions of Entry
- Entries must be a maximum of 200 words long (not including title and author details).
- Entries longer than 200 words will not be considered.
- All genres of fiction are welcome.
- One entry per person.
- Entries are open to anyone who lives, works, studies or plays in Brimbank.
- There are two award categories: 10-13 years old, and 14-18 years old.
- Two prizes will be awarded per category. Prizes will be vouchers for the Sun Bookshop, of $100/$50 for first and second placegetters respectively.
- Judges' decisions on the selected winners are final.
- Entries received after the closure date of midnight on the 21/11/21 will not be considered.
- If your story is selected for reading at our awards ceremony we will contact you for permission to do so.
- Winning entries may be published on the Brimbank Libraries Website, and other Brimbank Council websites.
- Entries are via email only. No physical paper entries will be accepted.
- All entries will be collated into a collected publication, a copy of which will be sent to each participant. If you would like to your piece to not be published please state this in your entry.
How to Enter
The theme/inspiration for entries is “Waking up in Sunshine”. You may use this to inspire your story in any direction you see fit, and use your creative discretion as to how little or how much it influences your story.
Please submit entries as an attached Microsoft Word Document, with body text in size 12 Times New Roman or similar font.
Please include your name, age, phone number, email address, story title and a word count at the top of your story, as in the example below. These elements do not count towards your word count.
Example story submission:
Bill G. Shakespeare, (name) 12 years old
0402688744 (Phone number)
Title of Story (Word count: 199 words)
(Write your story here, in size 12 Times New Roman)
|Event Date||Monday 25 Oct, 2021 9:00 am|
|Event End Date||Sunday 21 Nov, 2021 11:55 pm|
Search for and Book an Event
Christmas Baby Bounce at Sunshine Library
Thursday 02 Dec, 2021 10:30 am
Christmas Storytime at St. Albans Library
Friday 03 Dec, 2021 10:30 am
Christmas Storytime at Sydenham Library
Tuesday 07 Dec, 2021 10:30 am
Christmas Storytime at Keilor Library
Wednesday 08 Dec, 2021 10:30 am
Upcoming Computer Classes:
Upcoming Groups and Clubs:
Subscribe to our Celebrating Learning Newsletter
A quarterly newsletter sharing local activities, resources and research relating to lifelong learning in Brimbank.